Monday, February 2, 2009

Bye Bye Mis American Pie

Round number anniversaries always seem to draw attention and Tuesday, February 3rd is no exception. It's the 50th anniversary of what has been deemed the day the music died. Buddy Holly, Richie Valens, and The Big Bopper died in a plane crash in the wee hours of the morning in northern Iowa. This year brought a week-long celebration at the Surf Ballroom (see earlier post) in Clear Lake, IA. Even XM radio broadcast live from the ballroom last Saturday night. Buddy Holly was a great one. I still think his best song was True Love Ways that never charted. Richie Valens was good, but J.P. Richardson was never one of my favorites. His only good song was Chantilly Lace. Waylen Jennings gave up his seat on the plane and Valens won a coin toss for a seat. Dion of Dion and the Belmonts was offered a seat, but the price of $36 dollars was more than he could afford. The 1959 Winter Dance Party continued on without the three. At the next venue a local young musician by the name of Bobby Vee joined the tour.

As for weather....not much to report. On Saturday I did see first-hand the tree damage in northwest Arkansas from last week's ice storm. I recommend you visit Claire's blog to see photos. Colder weather has returned. I'm expecting 20s tonight.

2 comments:

Pam said...

Yep, I remember when the music died. We went to the TAC House and danced to "Donna", etc. It was a sad time for those of my generation.

Chilly here today. I had to do PE with several kids at school (jogging club) and it was brisk!

Warmer tomorrow, then cooler, then warmer.....blah, blah, blah...

Snowed in London. Bah Humbug!

Kelly said...

Interesting post! This one was too long ago for me to remember, but I do recall when Jim Croce died and when John Lennon was shot.

Haven't check my official low for last night, but I do know it got pretty cold. Supposed to have lows in the 20s for the next two nights.