Saturday, July 19, 2008

Tsunami



Last night I was checking the Earthquake Information site and noticed there had been a 7.0 quake off the coast of Japan. That made me think of Tsunamis and from the earthquake site I found a link to a couple of warning sites. Here is the one of most interest to the US operated by NOAA. I haven't had a lot of time to explore the site, but I have book marked it for future reference. While visiting Hawaii a couple of years ago I found it interesting that all the towns along the coast had warning sirens. At first I wondered why they would need to worry about tornadoes, the it dawned on me they were for tidal waves. A powerful earthquake off the coast of South America in 1960 resulted in a devastating Tsunami at Hilo that killed more than 60 and destroyed over 500 homes. Here's more on that event. By the way...that quake was the most powerful ever estimated as high as 8.5. It was stronger than the Alaska quake of 1964 and the New Madrid quakes of the early 1800's.


As for our weather....nothing new, except there is a slight chance of scattered late afternoon thundershowers. Typical for Summer. Highs in the mid 90's and lows in the low 70's.

2 comments:

Pam said...

Tsunamis are not pretty!

Looks like we're off to an active start with the Hurricane/Tropical storm season.

Wish that disturbance lurking in the gulf would swoop up far enough to bring us some RAIN!

HOT! HOT! HOT!! DRY! DRY!! DRY!!!!

Kelly said...

Did I send you the picture of the tsunami sign in Washington?

I'll have to check out the links you provided.